Thursday, August 25, 2011

5 Minute Makeup

If you're like me - you wake up at 8:30am to catch the last 8:45am express bus downtown.  So I've perfected my morning makeup routine down to 5 mere minutes.  Don't expect to look like Sophia Loren after you follow these basic steps.  But you won't look like you stayed up all night watching Mad Men, either (oh I heart heart heart Don Draper).

Moisturizer
Cerave AM moisturizer with SPF30:  I used to use expensive creams but this one is really the best!  My dermatologist recommended it.  You get a huge bottle for $10.00 - it's not greasy, goes on really well, and offers UVA/UVB protection.  I've also given up my expensive face washes for the Cerave foaming cleanser (it is AWESOME!!!).

Foundation
You have three options here.  I go for the powder foundation because it takes 2 second to swipe it on your face.  But really you should probably have all 3 in your makeup drawer.  Or - go for the powder foundation + the liquid foundation.  Mix the liquid foundation with a little moisturizer and voila, you've got tinted moisturizer! 

Powder foundation: these come in the form factor of a compact - you apply the foundation as you would powder. It's quick to apply and offers good coverage.  I recommended the Shiseido powder foundation last time, but here are some other ones I've tried and like.  Honestly I think any brand is fine as long as you find a color that really suits your skin tone.  The trick to knowing whether you've got the right shade?  Take a hand mirror and go outside in the sunlight - that's the only way you can tell if you've got the right shade or not. 

Bare Escentuals SPF 15 Foundation: mineral based makeup gives you a matte look w/ a slight shimmer.  You'll get really good coverage with this but the only issue I have is that you have to buy a special brush & take your time blending this in. 
 
Lancome Dual Finish Versatile Powder Makeup: offers great coverage, plus the compact form factor means you can throw it in your work bag and re-apply.

Benefit Some Kind of Gorgeous: I used to use this religiously and I don't know why I gave it up.  It is so silky and smooth - it feels great on your skin, plus it offers sheer coverage.

Tinted Moisturizer:  tinted moisturizer offers very little coverage.  If your skin is looking good and you want some very sheer coverage, go for the tinted moisturizer route.

Laura Mercier Tinted SPF 20: this is consistently a best seller at Sephora and a must have on the Allure makeup review.  I use the sand color.  You won't look like you're wearing makeup at all when you have this on, yet your skin will look really smooth & matte.

Remeded Translucent UV Coat: this is hard to find but soooo good if you can get your hands on a bottle!  The little bottle will last you at least 1 yr.  It has the consistency of water - so you really don't feel like you're wearing makeup, but your skin will look flawless.

Liquid Foundation:  liquid foundations will give you the maximum coverage.  You can mix it with a little facial moisturizer to make your own tinted moisturizer.  Or you can apply it on top of your moisturizer for a full coverage look.  If you are taking photos - USE LIQUID FOUNDATION!  You'll feel like you have a ton of makeup on, but it'll look really good for the pictures.

Makeup Forever:  this brand has full coverage - great for taking pictures!  I used this on my friend JT and CN when I did their makeup for their weddings.  The pictures turned out great.

Giorgio Armani Luminous Silk Foundation: this is the creme de la creme of all foundations.  I recommended it to my friend AP and she looks incredibly gorgeous wearing it!  It's expensive b/c it's sooo light (you don't feel like you're wearing foundation) yet offers great coverage.

YSL Teint Radiance: I haven't tried this yet but I am obsessed with YSL makeup.  I am going to buy this after I run out of my current foundation.

Blush/Lipstick: these products can be used as blush and lipstick.

Stila Convertible Color: the texture is great and stays on all day.  It's a tiny compact and I always keep one in my work bag for touch ups.

Nars the Multiple: same idea, but in a stick form factor.  Orgasm is an universally flattering shade.

Eyeliner: it is so hard to find the perfect eyeliner that won't run or smudge.  I have tried everything out there ... here's what I'm obsessed with right now.

YSL Crayon Yeux Haute Tenue: goes on smooth, won't smudge, darkest of blacks ... I have received a million compliments on this one.  If it runs, put a little primer on your eyelids before you apply this.  This is the primer I use:

Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer

No comments:

Post a Comment