Monday, August 15, 2011

Accessories spotlight: easy to wear necklaces

Accessories can work wonders on an outfit.  I am completely inspired by Kelly Rutherfor's character on Gossip Girl - she has the BEST accessories and can turn any plain vanilla outfit into a chic ensemble.  Necklaces are really great becuase they can really spice up an outfit - below are 4 basic types of necklaces that should make up the basics of your jewelery box.

A long pendant necklace:
I resisted buying this for a long time because I think Nicole Richie is a skank and I don't want to support her business.  But I'll admit that the woman has a knack for designing extremely wearable jewelery.  I expect to wear this a lot ...

Horseshoe Necklace $58
Add this necklace onto a basic sweatshirt or t-shirt and it
instantly livens up a plain outfit

A long chain necklace:



Chain Necklace $54
This is a pretty basic necklace and can spruce up any work outfit. 
I like that it has both gold and silver tones - so it goes well with anything. 

A short necklace:
I love the layered short necklace look, esp. when it features a small, round, brushed metal pendant.  You can add other layers of short necklaces for more of a statement, or pair with a long necklace,  or add a string of pearls if you're feeling preppy.

Multi-disc necklace $45
There are tons of double chain necklaces out there - this one from J.Crew is priced
well and looks great w/ the brushed metal pendant.

A statement necklace:
I can devote at least half a dozen blog entries to statement necklaces (I am crazy about them), but here I'm going to feature one that I find extremely versatile.  It's from a talented SF jewelery designer Mabel Chong.  You can get this in a variety of stones and sizes - I personally like large smoky quartz stones. 


Mabel Chong Necklace $220
You can wear this long or double strand. 





No comments:

Post a Comment