Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Fall wishlist #3: polished weekend look

Most weekends ... scratch that ... EVERYDAY I find myself wearing the same mom uniform:  black lulu lemon pants, gap long sleeve tee, grey sweatshirt. 

One of my goals this fall is to look more polished on weekends, whether I'm running errands, shopping on Union St., or taking Brad to the museum.

The inspiration outfit can easily run you upwards of $800-900.  It's actually pretty easy to piece together with very inexpensive pieces!  Here's how I would tackle it:

Pretty in Pink

1.  Check shirts:  Forever21 is a fantastic source for woven shirts!  These shirts all cost <$20, look great, and can withstand lots of washes.  Some of my favorite woven shirts in my closet are from Forever21 - and I've had them for years and years and they're still going strong.  I put three examples here but their website has tons of check patterns, some going for as little as $13.

2.  Blazers: Urban Outfitters has surprisingly good blazers.  You'll have to use a bit of imagination and mentally erase the hideous caveman print underneath the perfectly lovely blazer. 

Note on the black one pictured here - it's a knock-off of an Elizabeth & James blazer (which I have).  The original is one of my favorite pieces - it looks incredibly chic.  I think I paid a few hundred for it but now Urban knocked it off for $78 (and currently on promo for $59!!).  If you have a grey blazer it would also look v. chic w/ the pink check.

3.  Loafers:  This is something I intend to buy this winter.  Love the two-tone look.  There are a dozen of these on the Urban Outfitters website right now - all for $60-70. 

4.  Note on accessories:  I would style this with a simple necklace, and carry a big bag like this Mulberry one here.  Bags are my splurge items, simply because a good bag makes any cheapo outfit look like a million bucks.

Mulberry Alexa Oversized Bag

No comments:

Post a Comment